Monday, July 31, 2006

A

fter the program, one friend of mine asked me, “Why are you interested in politics? Don’t you think it’s dirty?”

Traditionally, Chinese culture appreciates those who are like Tao Qian (陶潛). They believe that politics is dirty, full of bribes and greed. Some may say, “Don’t tell me about such dirty things. Now I have to wash my ears.” How noble.

I’m not arguing over whether politics is dirty or not. I just want to share my motivation for joining this program.

During the Young Ambassadors program, I went to Congress with Taiwanese and American students. We made appointments with them and tried to help them understand the situation Taiwan is in. We were trying to influence the way Taiwan could be. Not for bribes, money or power, we did this because we care. We care a lot about cross-strait relations, the most important issue for Taiwan. Don’t criticize Taiwan if you don’t read newspapers. Don’t criticize Taiwan if you thought that hiding yourself from politics (or realities) is noble. If you don’t like the way things are, go change it then! Stand up and do something for Taiwan. No matter which direction you want to work toward for Taiwan, you are compelled to do something unless you are 100 percent satisfied with Taiwan.

This program provides us an excellent opportunity to do something. Instead of hiring professionals to interview congresspeople, the Formosa Foundation gave the opportunity to us. We are just students and not professional at all, but we are enthusiastic. We are concerned for Taiwan, and we are here to make a stand. It’s our right and our responsibility to do something for our country.

I will continue to recommend this program to my friends, and I will continue to work for Taiwan. As long as we enjoy voting rights, we should never forget how precious Taiwan’s democracy is.

Helen Chou

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home