Thursday, August 31, 2006


Hi~I am Sigrid*

Is everybody doing well recently? Hope that all of you have a gorgeous summer!
I have been thinking about what I am going to talk in my article for a while. Originally I was so reluctant to talk about the biggest issue recently --Shih Ming-the’s anti-Chen campaign(it has been changed to be “anti-corruption” now). However, after I saw the article in Taipei Times, I changed my mind. The author’s name is 李敏勇, a person whom I have never heard of, while what he writes much moved me, and the headline of this editorial “The country that I want has a vision for all of us” makes reference to my bosom and my opinion regarding the “anti corruption campaign” initiated by Shih.
I smell in this “anti-corruption campaign” the private revenge of a politician and see in this protest the corruption of democracy. I appreciate Shih’s brevity and resourcefulness but not his protest this time. I feel embarrassed because I am a member of the “silent majority.” I don’t want to be a radical dissent, but actually I do have some judgment on the demonstration. It recalls me the question which I can’t answer very well when I was interviewed by Echo--- “ why the youth in Taiwan are so indifferent to politics ?” Why? Education will be held responsible for these consequences, I think. Still worse, after we grow up, we are too busy in competing with others and pursuing achievements to care about what on earth happens to our country. Just like the soap operas we watch everyday, “Politics” becomes the term we “watch” everyday on TV instead of people’s affairs and opinions toward the only country we have. Do you really believe that Shih stepped forward for people’s voices when he appealed for volunteers’ donation? How many people donate for defending Taiwan’s democracy? Every generation must be blamed on not only for the hostile words and behaviors of some of its members but for other members’ indifference toward these hostile words and behaviors as well. Maybe I am too young to judge good from wrong, so I dare not to criticize those enthusiastic politicians who work hard to defend Taiwan’s democracy. However, my conscience prefers the Shih as a warrior for democracy to the Shih as a politician for his private political career. As for this protest, I haven’t seen any concrete list of the source of donation so far, such as the names of the donators or good reasons for the sum of donation. I am not persuaded into backing him up. I don’t believe that the one hundred NT dollars can buy priceless democracy. I even can’t see the “version for all of us.”

Ps. Recently I finish reading a book named “The Five People You Meet in Heaven.” This book had been published for a long time, but I was too busy to have time to read it. It is a story about a poor worker’s life, and throughout the author’s description, the story talks about that our achievements are fulfilled because of others’ company, that the love you give will be not in vain at all, and that others’ stories and our story will get involved in the unpredictable future. This is really a good book for your guys’ leisure time, and hope that you “have a good time with it.” Besides, bellow is the article I saw in Taipei Times:

The country that I want has a vision for all of us
By Lee Min-yung 李敏勇Tuesday, Aug 29, 2006,Page 8
I do not want a country that has accustomed itself to colonial rule and that can never escape from the shadow of this slavish mentality.
AlthoughTaiwan's transition of political power in 2000 was realized amid shouts of dissent, its democratization process is stuck in the management of a fictional state left by authoritarian leaders of the past, unable to impart and handle transitional justice.
The country is filled with statues of colonial dictators, and these symbols of colonial government can be found at major intersections, on school campuses and in government agencies and military camps in cities and the countryside.
I do not want a country in which politicians battle only for power and benefits in the way one handles a commercial career.
These politicians, who uncritically and without shame accepted colonial rule, now take pride in rationalizing that era.
Those who are former dissidents from the opposition movement have moved from reform to becoming part of the old establishment; some have inherited the behavior of the colonial ruler though they were never subdued by them while others were, and now they are praised for lauding the colonial administration.
I do not want a country whose people have empty, soulless bodies.
I see people locking themselves up behind iron-clad windows, unable to participate in society, focusing instead on making money and worshipping materialism.
In other words, these people are incapable of participating in cultural refinement, in spite of the nation's favorable economic circumstances.
These individuals include the middle class, the wealthy and the educated, who generally lack understanding of their national identity and behave as opportunistic immigrants might, defending the colonial system and resolutely rejecting political reform and the nation's reconstruction.
I do not want a country that does not believe in democracy and progress and that lacks faith in freedom and human rights.
I see that the mutual alienation under colonial rule has led to utilitarianism.
I also see that people attach themselves to a foreign power, disregarding the fact that this power is threatening their country.
These people are constantly deceiving and humiliating themselves.
I see people accepting different colonial models and unable to let the world understand that they really want independence.
I see cultural workers and artists shamelessly shouting slogans to promote a cheap revolution without the slightest feeling of shame.
I want a country that is free, democratic and beautiful.
I want a country in which people advance their civilization, respect human rights and treasure the natural environment.
I want a country whose people can walk out of the dark of their nation's past sufferings and boost justice and build a peace-loving society.
I want a country where people recognize their national identity, work together to protect their homeland and reach out to other nations with dignity and through gestures of goodwill.
I want a country that has the ability to maintain economic prosperity.
And I want a country that is capable of refining culture and voicing a rich national character that can generate a new vision for the nation.
Lee Min-yung is a poet.

6 Comments:

Blogger e.chang said...

I am Rado. I agree to some but disgree another in Lee's article.

It seems that Lee's comments see all the people participating in the anti-bien/corruption campaign as those who support China regime, admire the colonial ruling, and against democracy in Taiwan. I think it's not fair for them,though I don't agree with this campaign. To see this campaign through identity lenses would overlook the serious issue about the development of Taiwan's democracy. If we want to see Taiwan serve as a democracy model around Asia Pacific, then we should make it a no-corruption, law- and human rights-repected country. In this campaign, I see that human rights is respected(freedom of protest), corruption did exists (though the president has not directly involved so far), and the law is not followed(protesters charge that president is involved even though judicial results haven't come out). To me, the president should step down if the results shows he is involved, and then would be the right time for protesters to go on street(some might say there is institutional means to force the step down, but I don't think protest would undermine Taiwan's democracy).
In short, the campaign should be blamed for not repecting judical system, not for their indenty; anti-corruption should be supported, breaking law should be blamed.

1:41 PM  
Blogger e.chang said...

Yap~Sigrid totally agree with you. It seems that we students living in this land share the same opinion toward this campaign. No matter what this campaign was identified, this campaign is of great importance in Taiwan's democracy. However, the way the campaign adopts is not so convincing and persuasive. This campaign keeps me always thinking about the justice it has. It seems like a campaign which uses any method to justify its motives, while I can't see the actual meaning and goal it has. Actually our country has our law and judgment should left to us people.
To tell the truth, I still feel confused for what the money is used and why this campaign evolves to be a spotlight of the media. That makes me feel bad.

2:07 AM  
Blogger e.chang said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:07 AM  
Blogger e.chang said...

I think you make some good points, Sigrid. Most of all, I think you're right to be suspicious of the involvement of politicians in this movement—this kind of protest is rightly the property of "the people," not of Shi Mingde and the other big names who have participated.

At the same time, I think it is a mistake to assume that just because a few powerful people with a lot of money provided the initial spark for this movement, it is undemocratic. It might be the case that Taiwan doesn't yet have the institutions—the active NGOs and other non-political organizations—to mount a true "popular protest" without the help of someone like Shi Mingde, who seems to have something to gain; but hopefully this event will highlight the ability of mass movements and encourage the development of such institutions.

In any case, although Shi Mingde is the founder and in some senses the symbol of these protests, they aren't really "about" him. It's unfortunate—maybe even tragic—that he was the one to do it, but don't you think they could have been organized by any number of people with more or less the same effect?

4:30 PM  
Blogger e.chang said...

(oops—that last comment was from Chris)

4:31 PM  
Blogger e.chang said...

Really thanks for your reply, Chris~ your opinion inspires me to think over something. Actually I went to the protest two days before, just out of curiosity. The atmosphere there and the people there impressed me very much. I would love to share my experience and feelings with you guys, but not now. I really have something to share with you guys, but I still need time to put my feelings in order. Recently the activities held by the demonstrators are getting drastic, and "anti-corruption" becomes the excuse for some selfish politicians to justify their private goals. I can't figure out why some legislators who harbor malicious intentions become so "excited." I also can't agree with the bloodthirsty media. Is this the so-called "democracy" ? There are so many questions fretting my heart, but apparently there are no answers prepared for them.


Sigrid

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home